· Battle Engine
· Added – ‘Shock & Awe’ – Experienced, warband, militia and levy units will undergo a morale break test if contacted by a charging enemy unit. If the unit fails the test it will rout automatically.
· Added – Melee weapon effectiveness reference chart to menu – Help options.
· Adjusted – Leader units now move during each segment of the action phase. For mounted leaders when under ‘Group Command’ they move at the speed of the slowest unit in the group.
· Corrected – When using ‘Next to Move’ unit option and the default movement instruction is employed, the correct response is shown by the red arrows.
· Corrected – Lead-shot slingers as well as normal slingers now shown with ‘S’ on 2D counter unit.
· Corrected – 3D view where mantlets are in use – they appeared under all friendly units. Fault now removed.
· Corrected – Stone throwers (catapults) now able to provide indirect fire.
· Corrected – Weapons Range pop-up box updated with change in range of lead-shot sling and horse archers.
· Battle Engine
· Added – Individual unit can join a group without creating a new group. Left click unit to join, go to menu – Units – Unit Joins Group then right click one unit in the group the unit is to join.
· Added – Combat Info box seen during a combat phase (alternative to Unit Losses on Map) can now be set such that the dialog box closes after 2 seconds without clicking on the box. The 2 seconds is hard-coded and cannot be altered.
· To set this mode – go menu – Options – View Losses on Map (click off) then menu – Options – Combat Dialog Box Timer (click on).
· Added – To reduce the number of mouse clicks to move a unit, a single unit on a hex is now given a default command of ‘Move’ and a player can left click the unit on the map (activate) then right click the target hex and the movement will be executed. LI and LC default command is ‘Skirmish’. Press the ‘Z’ key (Group Mode) before attempting to give a group command to skirmish. If it does not work, click on another unit in the group then click ‘Z’.
· Added – When a palisade wall is under attack during the combat phase it is highlighted by the red hex.
· Added – LI, LMI, LHI and LC can not be disrupted by terrain or movement given their open, loose formation.
· Adjusted – Variable ammo levels introduced. Default numbers at start of a battle are
· Javelins - 5 shots
· Infantry bow – 15
· Mounted bow – 30
· Lead shot slingers – 30
· Other slingers – 20
· Bolt shooting engine - 25
· Adjusted – Hot Keys can now be used in conjunction with the Unit Information Box and Command Box pop-up. Except for keyboard keys 1, 2 & 3.
· Adjusted – LHI increased to 8 points for Regulars and 7 points for Irregulars. LHI have a number of advantages over HI so cost more points.
· Adjusted – Roman LHI as well as HI permitted to construct palisades.
· Adjusted – Formation Change – previously only organised / formed units can change formation; now Regular Elite and Veteran units also permitted to change formation when disrupted.
· Adjusted – Improved computer player AI against LHI and SHC.
· Corrected – When limited ammunition for missiles is in effect, the ‘Short bow’ and ‘Bolt Shooting Engine’ ammo level did not reduce with use. Now corrected.
· Scenario Editor –
· Adjusted – Variable ammo levels introduced. Default numbers.
· Battle Engine
· Added – Units can not charge in ‘Thick Fog’.
· Adjusted – Unit Information Boxes now ‘drag and drop’ type as in earlier games in the series.
· Corrected – ‘Continue Game’ option on ‘End Game’ dialog bug resolved. Now working against computer AI when in ‘Draw’ victory status at end of scenario set number of turns. Pictures on ‘End Game’ dialog box changed to busts of Caesar and Pompey.
· Roman Civil War Version 1.00
· Battle Engine
· Added – Rate of increase in fatigue is reduced for a large unit with many ranks. As losses occur in the front rank they are readily replaced by men from the ranks behind.
· For a unit strength of 350 – 449, increase in fatigue of 4 is reduced by 1.
· For a unit strength of 350 – 449, increase in fatigue of 5 or more is reduced by 2.
· For a unit strength of 450 or more, increase in fatigue of 4 is reduced by 1.
· For a unit strength of 450 or more, increase in fatigue of 5 is reduced by 2.
· For a unit strength of 450 or more, increase in fatigue of 6 or more is reduced by 3.
· Added – Computer AI attack feature for siege warfare. If Computer AI player is the attacker on a siege then the AI must be the first player. Battering ram unit retires one hex once the wall collapses.
· Added – Missile units are now restricted to 10 rounds of fire (limited fire). The ammunition level is given by right clicking the Unit Information Box. Missile Units with no ammunition are highlighted by clicking the menu – Display – Highlight – No Ammunition Left.
· Added – Losses shown in pop-up box when unit overrun.
· Added – Game play Scenario starting option – ‘Group Morale impact’ – At the end of the Events Phase in each turn, each grouping of units morale is averaged and those not in combat have their morale raised to the average to reflect the fear felt by the rear ranks and the tendency for units to disintegrate from the rear ranks.
· Added – Tournament Play option – See Manual for details
· Added – Leaders now evade any adjacent enemy unit in the same manner as a skirmisher unit.
· Added – Archery overhead fire. Foot archers armed with the composite bow (only) can now do indirect fire as long as the enemy is visible to some part of the friendly army. The range of bow indirect fire is 6 hexes as the arrows are fired high in to the air.
· Added – Keyboard ‘Hot Key’ ‘I’ for Unit Information Box on the map (toggle on and off)
· Adjusted – Troops on an assault tower no longer suffer Reaction Test result where the unit is forced to abandon the tower simply because of a ‘Retire / Recoil’ result. Units will still leave the tower if forced to retreat or rout. This change reduces the likelihood of attacking troops abandoning the assault tower and preventing further attacks on the wall.
· Adjusted – Missile fire range –
· Short bow and mounted archer = 6 hexes
· Ordinary Slinger = 5 hexes
· Lead-shot Slinger = 7 hexes
Adjusted – Army morale is now calculated based on unit class:
· Army Morale = Army Morale + (Unit Strength*(70-Unit Fatigue)*Unit Class)
· Initial Army Morale = Initial Army Morale + (Unit Initial Strength*70*Unit Class)
· Overall Army Morale % = Army Morale / Initial Army Morale
· The above calculation allows for unit class and avoids small elite armies routing too rapidly and reduces resilience of large militia armies.
· Adjusted – Combat factors – to allow more effectively for shock heavy cavalry charging in, the combat modifier has been adjusted to +2 and for EHC and SHC to +3. For militia and levy troops a new modifier of –1.
· Adjusted – Combat factors – to allow more effectively for a charismatic leader in the combat hex. Legendary leaders +3, Experienced leaders +2, Mediocre leaders +1. Previously all leaders were at +1.
· Adjusted – Unit formation change now permitted in fields where the crop is not full grown.
· Adjusted – Legionary unit special rules introduced – build bridge, destroy bridge, retire front rank, construct palisade – as originally seen in Gallic Wars.
· Adjusted – Reaction test results modified for ‘D’ class troops – more likely to rout or go into uncontrolled advance. See updated Rules Manual Reaction Test table.
· Adjusted – Speed of updating Unit Information Box improved.
· Adjusted – Cavalry and chariots can not move in to a palisade hex.
· Adjusted – Archery fire is reduced by 1 if the target is over 5 hexes distant and –2 if over 7 hexes distant.
· Adjusted – AI computer player now only permitted to split units as per player restrictions. Pike and Long Spear Units can not be split and automatically combine when in the same hex at the start of a player’s turn.
· Corrected – Troops with ladder on combat at the city walls would loose the ladder facility too often without retreat or routing. Now corrected.
· Corrected – Computer AI units were not making ladders on approach to enemy city wall. Now corrected.
· Corrected – Stone thrower unit not shooting – now working.
· Corrected – Units entering assault tower not showing disruption – now corrected.
· Corrected – Main game manual updated.
· Scenario Editor
· Added – Hot key ‘U’ for ‘No Unit’ option when selecting units to add to map.
· Adjusted – menu - Army - Nations in Scenario. This pop-down option now checks for previous settings.
· Adjusted – Maximum strength of leader unit moved up to 20.
· Corrected – Intelligence Reports now showing for all armies.
· Corrected - Loading Training Camp armies now working.
· Corrected – Editor Manual updated.