UDK ships demo content from Unreal Tournament 3 consisting of four maps; deathmatch, team deathmatch, and vehicle capture the flag gametypes; one robot character; three weapons; and four vehicles. In UT Demo, human opponents, blood and gore have been removed. Levels have been enhanced to showcase recent upgrades to UE3 technology.
The UT3 editor is widely used for learning Unreal Engine technology, and now there is UDK, which will give you all of UT3’s game creation tools in addition to high-level engine features developed since the game’s release.
UT Demo is a great example and starting point for those looking to develop their own first-person shooter experience.
Here are some key features of "Unreal Development Kit":
- The Unreal Editor toolset, complete with fully integrated game editing environment.
- Unreal Gemini multithreaded rendering system, including a powerful material system for creating complex real-time shaders on the fly.
- Unreal Lightmass global illumination solver for high-quality static lighting.
- State-of-the-art physics system, Unreal PhAT, powered by NVIDIA PhysX.
- Unreal Kismet, an advanced visual scripting solution that facilitates rapid prototyping of ideas and gameplay mechanics.
- AnimSet Viewer and AnimTree Editor, which give animators precise control over every muscle and bone movement.
- Unreal Matinee, which includes movie director-class tools for creating in-game cut scenes and gorgeous cinematics.
- UnrealScript, a fully integrated, high-level object-oriented programming language.
- Built-in Internet and LAN networking support for up to 64 players.
- Audio control through UnrealEd’s Visual Sound Cue Editor, plus support for major audio compression schemes; 3D sound positioning, spatialization and attenuation; multi-channel playback, and much more.
- Unreal Cascade particle effects system for implementing explosions, fog, fire and smoke. Module-based system gives real-time previews of visual effects.
- Terrain building tool for placing and customizing vegetation, structures and countless in-game points of interest.
- Integrations with leading game development middleware including PhysX, SpeedTree, FaceFX and Bink Video.
- Resolved the streaming memory leak issue.
- UDID was removed for iOS.
- Apps on iOS should now have stable and consistent audio, even when opening the Alarm Clock
- Apps on iOS should now have stable and consistent experiences when Siri is opened during a loading movie.