Spring is a project aiming to create a new RTS in the spirit of the game Total Annihilation from 1997. This engine features lots of innovative and yet versatile things.
Here are some key features of "Spring Engine":
· Very extensive Lua interface, allowing gameplay changes and custom (G-)UIs.
· Large battles limited only by the power of your computer; support for up to 30000 units and up to 250 players.
· Fully 3D combat in land, sea, and air, with realistic weapon trajectories (physics engine).
· Full featured lobby clients to easily play multiplayer games with hundreds of players just waiting for you at any time. Including automatic game and map downloading, chat, friends list etc.
· Complex 3rd party AIs (Bots) that can work very competently in many cases with multiple Spring engine games and mods.
· Several camera modes, allowing for anything to be viewed from almost any angle.
· A powerful UI designed to minimize unnecessary micromanagement that is easily extensible via a Lua API.
· A lot of third party widgets to improve the GUI, the gameplay and the visual.
· Many different Games, made just for Spring.
· Hundreds of large and highly detailed maps in which to wage those battles, fully 3D with deformable terrain, forest fires, dynamic and reflective bump mapped water, and custom skyboxes.