First conceived by gaming industry vet Derek Smart in the late nineteen eighties with the first title, Battlecruiser 3000AD released in 1996 by Take 2 Interactive, then re-imagined in 2004 as Universal Combat - the long running Battlecruiser series comes to a close with the release of Universal Combat Collectors' Edition.
This ultimate compendium spanning eleven years represents the evolution of hard core space combat sims. It consists of full copies of the three legacy Battlecruiser retail releases in their original state. It also contains over one hundred scenarios from all the games in Battlecruiser and Universal Combat series running on improved versions of the Universal Combat Special Edition game engine.
Universal Combat Collectors' Edition contains full versions and scenarios from the following titles :
1. Universal Combat Special Edition (3000AD, Oct 2006)
2. Universal Combat A World Apart (3000AD, Oct 2005)
3. Universal Combat Gold (3000AD, Oct 2005)
4. Universal Combat (Dreamcatcher Interactive, Feb 2004)
5. Battlecruiser Millennium Gold (Dreamcatcher Interactive, March 2003)
6. Battlecruiser Millennium (EB Games, Nov 2001) *
7. Battlecruiser 3000AD v2.0 (Interplay, Dec 1998) *
8. Battlecruiser 3000AD (Take2, Sept. 1996) *
You will find here everything you need!
Here are some key features of "Universal Combat Collectors' Edition":
· Enhanced graphics engine with various enhancements which include :
· Native DirectX 9 graphics engine with support for shader model 2.0.
· New features include new shader based lighting, glow and environment mapping (in space, you will see the surrounding space skybox reflected off objects in the scene etc) render paths; along with normal and bump maps support for various high end assets.
· The new engine also has native support for various lighting (per-pixel) levels, texture filtering (e.g. Anisotropic), full screen anti-aliasing (FSAA) etc. These and other options are available via the game Config options screen.
· Improved shader based special FX (e.g. explosions, cloaking, hyperspace etc)
· Improved terrain rendering engine with new texturing technologies including high resolution textures, reflections, volumetric clouds etc.
· Improved shader based character animation engine which takes advantage of the newer high definition character models.
· Improved NPC dynamic AI engine with improved NPC orders system.
· New multiplayer transport kernel using ReplicaNet middleware networking engine.
· New middleware audio engine.
· New integrated multiplayer games channel with features such as chat lobby, server browser, multi-lingual chat rooms etc.
· Improved vehicle control and dynamics, including updated mouse flight controls.
· High definition first person character models.
· Improvements to various 3D models, including space crafts, stations etc.
· All new first person weapons; for a total of twenty-four weapons, excluding the four grenade types and the all new Anti-Personnel Mine.
· Revised planetary bases using some revised assets and with better layout and scale.
· Revised one hundred page manual plus a ninety page tutorial accompanying scenario included
· Unique to Universal Combat CE are the following :
· Various game engine and interface tweaks.
· Smoother, faster graphics and AI processing which results in better response at higher resolutions during lower frame rates.
· Native support for 16:9 and 16:10 aspect ratio widescreen monitors with built-in support for 1280x720 (720p), 1680x1050 and 1920x1080 (1080i) resolutions. Wait till you see the game on your massive flat screen TV or monitor!
· All the campaign and instant action scenarios from the entire Battlecruiser and Universal Combat game series'
· Twenty-Seven musical tracks from previous games in the series