In January 1944, Von Manstein's Army Group South clings tenaciously to its last foothold on the Dnepr River. The German High Command dreams of a counterattack and has ordered this dangerous salient held at all costs. Stalin demands the earliest possible expulsion of German invaders from Russian soil, and Marshals Vatutin and Konev are eager to oblige.
In the middle of the salient, the otherwise unremarkable town of Korsun and its airfield are about to become the focal point for a desperate and bitter conflict. Will the Battle of Korsun Pocket be a testament to superior generalship and fighting skills, or yet another graveyard for a German army, misled, surrounded and ultimately crushed?
Korsun Pocket places you on the Russian Front in January 1944 in command of the German or Soviet forces and masterfully re-creates the savage and desperate fighting in what historians have said could have been another Stalingrad along the Dnepr River. Korsun Pocket includes all of the historical forces available to each commander and their challenges as well.
The Decisive Battles game system features an integrated move/combat system that exploits the computer's processing and data storage powers to create a system that is more fluid and realistic than traditional strategy games. Prior combats can influence movement, units have a wide variety of combat and supply abilities and SSG's legendary AI routines make for a fearsome opponent.
The Decisive Battles combat system faithfully reports all aspects of a battle to you as the commander in charge of the operations. This allows you to make fully informed decisions before a battle, and to determine whether a particular outcome was the result of generalship or luck.
BONUS BATTLE: The Ardennes Offensive
A new and improve version of SSG's Ardennes Offensive on the Battle of the Bulge is also included as a special bonus. In December 1944, the German Army launched a furious surprise attack against American forces in the Ardennes. This special bonus now gives you two great battles to command.
Here are some key features of "Korsun Pocket Patch":
· Superb new terrain and unit graphics reflect changing ground conditions
· New interface and game support elements
· Unique integrated move and fight combat system
· New combat system includes Overruns, Alert Units, Minefields, and Detachments and Unknown Units
· Play By Email and hotseat games with full in-game replay and auto-email of game turns
· Extensive tutorial for new players
· Full Map and Scenario Editor included
· Full campaign game plus historical scenarios
· Fearsome AI opponent controlled by SSG's legendary AI routines
· Win 98, Win ME, Win 2000, Win XP
· PII 450 Mhz CPU
· 128 Mb RAM
· DX 8.1 or later
· 8Mb Video RAM/ 16 bit color
· DX 8.0 compatible sound card
· 8 x CD-ROM
· 400 Mb Free Hard Drive Space
Patch Notes: This is an incremental update that is intended for installations that are already updated to v1.11. Please note that v1.12 is not compatible with PBEM files from previous versions, so PBEM games should be concluded before upgrading or re-started once upgraded.