n one of the most famous episodes in ancient history, Caesar led the disciplined Legions of the Roman Republic across North and Western Europe, fighting the mighty warriors of Celtica, Belgica, Germania and Britannia. These 9 years of terrible bloodshed are known to us as the Gallic Wars, which climaxed at Alesia.
The victory there resulted in the expansion of the Roman Republic over the whole of Gaul and paved the way for Caesar to be sole ruler of the Roman Empire.
From Roman palisade camps and fortifications to Gallic strongholds this game has all the features including caltrops, stakes, pits and the famous Garden of Death at the battle of Alesia.
Siege warfare is a major element of this game with stone throwing engines, battering rams, wood towers and stone walls.
There are 52 scenarios included (21 historical, 9 hypothetical & 22 from the Table Top Series) covering actions such as Alesia, Sambre, Vosges & Chaeronea. The Table Top Series (TTS) are scenarios made up of evenly matched armies based on points. Many miniature wargamers will recognise the structure of TTS battles.
In addition to the main game engine there is also a scenario editor included which allows players to create their own scenarios from scratch, edit existing scenarios and also create their own Order of Battles. Wage war against your enemies and lead your armies to victory..
58 maps are also included in the game covering historical locations and random ones, so a large amount of terrain is available for scenario designers to use creating custom battles.
- Ancient Warfare: Gallic Wars
- Battle Engine:
- Added – LHI can now use testudo formation.
- Adjusted – Variable ammo levels introduced. Default numbers at start of a battle are:
- Javelins - 5 shots
- Infantry bow – 15
- Mounted bow – 30
- Lead shot slingers – 30
- Other slingers – 20
- Bolt shooting engine - 25
- Adjusted – Units can only descend from a fortification if it is a tower hex not a wall hex.
- Adjusted – defenders on walls do not advance off the wall if the enemy attacking unit retires one hex.
- Adjusted – Menu – Help – Combat Melee Effectiveness chart updated for SHC
- Corrected – Mantlets and Towers are now visible in 3D view under FOW mode.
- Corrected – Missing 3D view SHC unit now showing
- Corrected – Menu Help - Missile Range chart – entries for staff sling and crossbow removed. Missile Effectiveness chart also updated