n one of the most famous episodes in ancient history, Caesar led the disciplined Legions of the Roman Republic across North and Western Europe, fighting the mighty warriors of Celtica, Belgica, Germania and Britannia. These 9 years of terrible bloodshed are known to us as the Gallic Wars, which climaxed at Alesia.
The victory there resulted in the expansion of the Roman Republic over the whole of Gaul and paved the way for Caesar to be sole ruler of the Roman Empire.
From Roman palisade camps and fortifications to Gallic strongholds this game has all the features including caltrops, stakes, pits and the famous Garden of Death at the battle of Alesia.
Siege warfare is a major element of this game with stone throwing engines, battering rams, wood towers and stone walls.
There are 52 scenarios included (21 historical, 9 hypothetical & 22 from the Table Top Series) covering actions such as Alesia, Sambre, Vosges & Chaeronea. The Table Top Series (TTS) are scenarios made up of evenly matched armies based on points. Many miniature wargamers will recognise the structure of TTS battles.
In addition to the main game engine there is also a scenario editor included which allows players to create their own scenarios from scratch, edit existing scenarios and also create their own Order of Battles. Wage war against your enemies and lead your armies to victory..
58 maps are also included in the game covering historical locations and random ones, so a large amount of terrain is available for scenario designers to use creating custom battles.
· Ancient Warfare: Gallic Wars
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· Added – Losses shown in pop-up box when unit overrun.
· Added – Loss of a Legendary leader causes major morale loss to the army.
· Added – Keyboard ‘Hot Key’ ‘I’ for Unit Information Box on the map (toggle on and off)
· Added – Archery overhead fire. Troops armed with the composite bow only can now do indirect fire as long as the enemy is visible to some part of the friendly army. The range of bow indirect fire is 6 hexes as the arrows are fired high in to the air.
· Adjusted – Unit formation change now permitted in fields where the crop is not full grown.
· Adjusted – Clear terrain now includes ploughed fields and harvested fields.
· Adjusted – LMI can now enter all terrain except rivers, lakes, sea hexes.
· Adjusted - LCh can skirmish
· Adjusted – Reaction test results modified for ‘D’ class troops – more likely to rout or go into uncontrolled advance. See updated Rules Manual Reaction Test table.
· Adjusted – Increased speed of Unit Information Box update. Now more user friendly.
· Adjusted – Improved mounted leader’s ability to evade combat / overrun.
Adjusted – Army morale is now calculated based on unit class:
· Army Morale = Army Morale + (Unit Strength*(70-Unit Fatigue)*Unit Class)
· Initial Army Morale = Initial Army Morale + (Unit Initial Strength*70*Unit Class)
· Overall Army Morale % = Army Morale / Initial Army Morale
· The above calculation allows for unit class and avoids small elite armies routing too rapidly and reduces resilience of large militia armies.
· Adjusted – Combat factors – to allow more effectively for shock heavy cavalry charging in, the combat modifier has been adjusted to +2 and for EHC and SHC to +3. For militia and levy troops a new modifier of –1.
· Adjusted – Combat factors – to allow more effectively for a charismatic leader in the combat hex. Legendary leaders +3, Experienced leaders +2, Mediocre leaders +1. Previously all leaders were at +1.
· Adjusted – Cavalry and chariots can not move in to a palisade hex.
· Corrected – Stone thrower unit not shooting – now working and hex hit shown in blue to highlight scatter effect.
· Corrected – Rules Manual with updated combat and missile fire factors.
· Corrected – Units entering Assault Tower not showing ‘D’.
· Corrected – Crash when cavalry move adjacent to palisade hex. Now working.
· Corrected – Legionaries making ladders have status bar message saying ‘Unit unable to make ladders’ but the unit does. Message stopped.
· Corrected – Routed pike or long spear units missing picture in Unit Information Box.