Racer 0.9.0 RC10
A free car simulation project, using real car physics to get a realistic feeling.
The game features cool customizations to the suspensions, wheels and even tires in order to deliver the racing sensations we're all looking for.
The game uses OpenGL to render the graphics.
- It's totally free! (for non-commercial use)
- Available for multiple platforms; Windows 2000/XP (95/98/ME may work but have some trouble with fonts), Linux and Mac OS X.
- 6 DOF models used (the car can move around freely)
- Uses motion formulae from actual engineering documents from SAE for example.
- Total flexibility; almost everything is customizable through ASCII files.
- Commercial-quality rendering engine (with smoke, skidmarks, sparks, sun, flares, vertex-color lit tracks).
- Support for Matrox' Surround Gaming. See the corresponding page on Matrox' site.
- Lots of addon cars and tracks available on the web.
- Easy integration of your own cars and tracks that you create in ZModeler, 3D Studio Max(tm), Maya etc.
- At least 15 degrees of freedom for a regular car (6 DOF for the car body, 1 for each wheel's vertical motion and 1 for each wheel spinning, and 1 for the engine, several more for the driveline). Depending actually on how many wheels you put on the car.
- Real-time internal clock; no physical dependency on framerate. Controller updates are also done independently of the framerate.
- Not limited to 4 wheels; anything from 2 to 8 wheel vehicles are currently supported (but mostly untested, and some problems with hardcoded differentials for example may exist (v0.5.0)).
- Not much constraints on the track data; surface info is taken from polygon data (VRML tracks), and splines are used to smooth out the track surface (polygons are too harsh for driving on just like that).
- Tools to modify the cars & tracks are freely available on this site (though external utilities are recommended for best results).
- Some used algorithms are explained on this site. Also, references are available. If you are programming a carsim, you might find something useful here.
In a hurry? Add it to your Download Basket!
What's New in version 0.9.0 RC8
- Combined friction slip model improvements
- Shader fixes.