This software is a Nintendo Entertainment System 8-bit (NES) emulator. This is the Windows version for the original RockNES developed for DOS (by fx3).
This is a nice emulator with many features, including a "eagle" mode which should make games look better. On my old PC I noticed RockNES wasn't particular fast. But with both the advance of PC's and RockNES the speed difference (compared to other emulators) should be negligible.
After the first run, RockNES will create a ROCKNES.CFG file which can be edited with any text editor to set options for sound, video, controllers etc.
RockNES also supports the Game Genie
What's New in This Release: [ read full changelog ]
· AUDIO, GUI: SERIOUS bug fixed in the sound setup: the soundcard information was
· being incorrectly stored. This fixes some odd errors on audio initialization.
· GUI: Fixed a few typos.
· GUI: Removed the warning telling that the filtering mode is not supported when
· running with 3D Hardware support
· GUI: The GUI was not using correctly the rocklist.dat file during the startup. Fixed.
· GUI: fixed a bug that was preventing the list of ROMs to show the last rom in some
· INPUT: Fixed a bug that was causing the joystick to stop working after a video mode
· switch (during the emulation)
· INPUT: In some systems the keyboard was starting to beep after a few minutes of
· continuous play. Bug is fixed.
· VIDEO: new multithreaded gfx engine: now the emulation is able to run at full speed
· even if very slow videocards. The gfx engine will try to render the maximum number of
· frames possible (60 fps is the maximum). This means auto frameskip support.
· VIDEO: added official video filtering support (MMX cpu required)
· VIDEO: 2D slow blit fixed
· VIDEO: SERIOUS bug fixed when switching video modes during the emulation. This fixes
· random crashes when the emulation is stopped
· VIDEO: Many fixed bugs in the video filtering mode
· VIDEO: Fixed many bugs that was avoiding the full screen mode to resume after the
· window is minimized
· VIDEO: The RockNES X help in-game text was moving incorrectly using
· windowed and 2D mode.
· CORE: fixed some memory access violation bugs
· CORE: sync (to maintain the emulator at 60 fps) greatly improved
· CORE: frames per second measurement improved
· CORE: Gamegenie support added
· CORE: In some systems after the RockNES X was closed the desktop was affected.
· CORE: command line support fixed
· CORE: .dat format updated
· EMU: based on the latest rocknes release.
· NETPLAY: added support to .zip filenames (even when the remote side has a .nes file)
· NETPLAY: fixed a bug that would cause the emulator to crash when the initialization fails
· in the remote side
· NETPLAY: Added support to have a .zip file in one side and a .nes file in the other.
· NETPLAY: In some cases the player 1 would have to wait for a long time after stopping
· the netplay mode. Fixed.
· NETPLAY: Fixed the loss of sync when switching the video mode during the emulation
· NETPLAY: Fixed the loss of sync after a remote save state loading
· NETPLAY: The temp dir (used to store a remote savestate) was not set correcly. This
· could prevent non-admin users to use such feature under Windows 2000/XP.
· README: readme text greatly improved!